[802.3_B400G_ELEC] Reminder - Contribution Driven Process

Title: Reminder - Contribution Driven Process

All,

I have had a number of conversations since last week’s meeting, and it seems to me that for whatever reason there are various areas in our effort, where people are expecting work to happen, but few to no contributions coming forward.

Case in point – I asked Kent for the following straw poll –

Straw Poll #1:

I am interested in C2M AUIs that would support the following form factors:

a. PCB host front panel pluggable

b. cabled-host front panel pluggable

c. co-package

d. near-package

(chicago rules)

Results: A: 50, B: 47, C: 38, D: 38

It was interesting to see the interest in Options C and D.  As I said on the call those individuals interested in C and D need to remember that we are contribution driven process, and need to bring contributions if they want to see these areas addressed.

Following up on this during the discussion of Adee Ran’s presentation (https://www.ieee802.org/3/df/public/adhoc/electrical/22_0418/ran_3df_elec_01a_220418.pdf_ i asked him a question about the 16 dB number cited on Slide #8 and his comment that “this number wasn’t an easy decision.”  I had asked Add how long did it take to reach the decision on the 16dB number, and he commented that he thought it took a year from the start of getting channel data.  So a simple remind – we need 200 Gb/s channel data in order to start having that channel budget discussion.

I bring this up to remind individuals that the request to make presentations to the Task Force at the May 2022 Session is May 6, 2022.  For further information, please  see https://www.ieee802.org/3/B400G/email/msg00281.html.

Regards,

John D’Ambrosia

Chair, IEEE P802.3df Task Force