Re: [802.3_DIALOG] [STDS-802-3] Call for interest - 40Gb/s Ethernet Single-mode Fibre PMD

Dear Colleagues,

I received the following comment from Geoff Thompson in response to the
40Gb/s Ethernet Single-mode Fibre PMD Call for Interest announcement. To
keep the email burden low this IEEE 802.3 reflector is only used for
announcements and hence is not the appropriate venue to discuss this
issue. Since there wasn't really anywhere else that was appropriate I have
taken the step of setting up an IEEE 802.3 general discussion reflector at
the email address [stds-802-3-dialog@ieee.org] which I have CCed this
message to.

The IEEE 802.3 general discussion reflector is an opt-in reflector so if
you wish to discuss this issue please subscribe to the IEEE 802.3 general
discussion reflector at the URL [
http://www.ieee802.org/3/dialog_reflector.html ] or follow the discussion
in the reflector email archive at the URL [
http://www.ieee802.org/3/email_dialog/thrd1.html ].

Best regards,
  David

[mnowell@cisco.com]
> > or myself directly.
> >
> > ----
> >
> > 40Gb/s Ethernet Single-mode Fibre PMD Call for Interest
> >
> > This is a Call for Interest in forming a Study Group to study the need
for
> > an amendment to the IEEE 802.3 standard to specify a 40Gb/s Ethernet
> > Single-mode Fibre PMD optimized for client applications in the carrier
> > environment. Based on this study the outputs will be (i) a
recommendation
> > to the IEEE 802.3 Working Group if such a amendment is required and
(ii)
> > if so a PAR, 5 Criteria and Objectives in support of a project to
develop
> > the amendment.
> >
> > ----
> >
> > The 'Call for interest' occurs during the IEEE 802.3 Opening Plenary
on
> > the afternoon of Monday 16th November. A 40Gb/s Ethernet Single-mode
Fibre
> > PMD Call for Interest meeting has been requested for Monday evening
and I
> > will provide full details in my plenary announcement email in a couple
of
> > weeks time. The vote to determine if a Study Group will be formed will
> > take place at the IEEE 802.3 Closing Plenary on the afternoon of
Thursday