From: Law, David [mailto:dlaw@xxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 5:55 PM
To: STDS-802-3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [STDS-802-3] IEEE-SA Industry connections - future Ethernet bandwidth needs

Dear Colleagues,

As I reported at the November plenary, John D'Ambrosia has requested an activity to assess future Ethernet bandwidth needs under the umbrella of IEEE-SA Industry connections program. IEEE-SA Industry connections <http://standards.ieee.org/develop/indconn/index.html> is a program of the IEEE-SA Board of Governors (BOG) to provide safe harbour environment for building consensus and developing documents prior to a formal standards development effort.

In response to this request, motions were passed both by the IEEE 802 Executive Committee and the IEEE Board of Governors. The full text of the motions can be found below. Since this will be the first IEEE-SA Industry connections activity based on Individual (rather than entity) participation and also there is an existing sponsor, the IEEE 802 Executive Committee decided this should be a pilot program with a maximum duration of 18 months.

Based on the above I have decided that I will operate this activity as an IEEE 802.3 ad hoc. There will be a report from the ad hoc at each plenary and any output of the ad hoc will require approval of the IEEE 802.3 Working Group. I am appointing John D'Ambrosia to Chair this ad hoc and an email reflector will be set up shortly. Any discussion of this ad hoc prior to setting up of its reflector should occur on the IEEE 802.3 dialog reflector <http://www.ieee802.org/3/dialog_top.html>.

Best regards,
  David

IEEE 802 Executive Committee motion, 12th November 2010:

The IEEE 802 LMSC supports the development of Industry Connections activities and charters John D'Ambrosia to work with the Industry Connections program to develop appropriate approval documentation for a 18 month pilot program for 'Ethernet Wireline Bandwidth Needs' with the expectation that oversight would be delegated to IEEE 802.3 Chair.

IEEE-SA Board of Governors motion, 4th December 2010 reads:

Approve 'Ethernet Wireline Bandwidth Needs' Industry Connections Activity Initiation Document (ICAID), with David Law and Jim Wendorf as mentors.