[802.3_DIALOG] The ballad of Dave Chalupsky (version 802.3)

Apologies that the zoom codecs seem to have garbled Pete Cibula’s song.  (I was on a phone to minimize this, but it appears not to have been enough).  “The ballad of Dave Chalupsky” by Pete Cibula may be found at:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bk38lJyCjwzhyiOhfaPgwQQjVPFa6WvD/view

Words are below:

"The Ballad of Dave Chalupsky (version 802.3)"

By Pete Cibula in memory of my friend and brother in many things, David Chalupsky

[Verse 1]

Well, I met him in that far-off year of nineteen ninety-eight.

An engineer of engineers, he knew not yet his fate.

To lead a mighty congress, an eye-triple-eee team,

to "Faster speeds on twisted pair" which was his noble dream.

[Interlude]  (Spoken...)

"Uhh, sorry about that.  This here's the part of the song where we skip over everything Dave did professionally in many flavors of Ethernet as an Intel hardware engineering manager and architect.  Not to mention his musical adventuring in many bands and jam sessions, his equestrian alter-ego reining quarter-horses and running Mountaindale Stables with his wife Elizabeth, or the rest of his family life as father to Evan and Megan.  Gonna have to save all of that for another time before this turns into a long... and I mean ***re-ea-ally*** long... story.  Until then, there's more 802.3 to tell when the verse comes around on the banjo."

[Verse 2]

And soon it was the summer of two thousand and oh-six.

Ten gigabits per second interop needed a fix

Late nights in the X-Lab, tempers flared to say the least

Dave played his mighty banjo and he soothed the savage beast.

[Chorus]

He's gone but not forgotten,

And never soon will be,

That chairman of all chairmen,

Mr. David Chalupsky.

[Verse 3]

It's now six short years later, in July of twenty-twelve.

A call went out for interest, and brave hearts dared to delve

Study Groups would follow and Task Forces then appear

Dave took the chair and led the team beyond their darkest fears.

[Verse 4]

He lead his team both far and wide, to the corners of the earth.

Enabling consensus with a healthy dose of mirth.

Too soon this friend and colleague, was taken from our arms.

Here's to Dave Chalupsky, and his many, many charms.

[Chorus]

He's gone but not forgotten,

And never soon will be,

That chairman of all chairmen,