Re: [FE] Frame size poll

Kevin,

I think that 1875 octets will be more than enough to support labels, tags and encapsulations, but my preferred value, to maintain 10 bits, is the higher possible number with an upper limit of 2047 (2^10 - 1).

As an additional comment, since this work group is going to modify the frame size, this is an opportunity (I know this is a problematic thing) to reduce the minimum frame size, because the payload in some applications is not enough to fill it. For example, with voice over IP and G.729, the overload in etherphones is not a problem but, with voice over ethernet and better speech vocoders, the loss of bandwidth will be hig to fill the 64 octets. Also, to send short messages like sinchronization or control traffic it is an unnecessary overload. A minimum frame size is required for correct
CSMA/CD protocol operation, but now, most connections are full duplex, and there is no collision domain.

Jose