From: Yair Darshan [ YairD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 5:15 AM
To: 'Geoff Thompson'; stds-802-3-pwrviamdi@xxxxxxxx
Cc: thompson@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [802.3af] Late comment

Geoff and all,

The reason that there is no specification for tying one of the PSE outputs
to the ground is the fact that in the early days of the standard (802.3af)we
got the conclusion that it is best to leave the outputs floating!.

It was once offered by Steve Jackson/Jennifer Rasimas/Nortel on July 10,
2001
( http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/af/public/jul01/rasimas_1_0701.pdf)

to tie one of the leads to the ground however it was voted down from the
following reasons:

1. In environment A, when single power supply is used to feed multiple
ports, the effective way to avoid
current ground loops is by keeping the PSE port floating or DC
isolated from system/chassis ground along with the PDs.

2. If you tie one of the PSE outputs to ground, it means that you tie
the MDI leads to ground.
This connection violates IEEE802.3 specific requirement which
specify 1500Vac or 2250Vdc between all MDI leads to frame ground/chassis and
repeater circuits.

3. If you tie one of the PSE outputs to ground, it means that the port
is no longer ac balanced and it may affect the RF parameters.

4. In any case if eventually we will find good reasons why we should
tie one of the PSE outputs to the ground than it must be the positive
lead as it is being done for 100 years or so in the telecom field
however in the telecom infrastructure we didn't had the RF issues and
the IEEE802.3 requirements to consider..

From the above reasons I do not agree to change the standard as offered by
Geoff.

If any one think differently please lets discuss it over the reflector and
not at the meeting in order to save the time.

Regards

Yair.

Darshan Yair
Chief Engineer
PowerDsine Ltd. - Powering Converged Networks
1 Hanagar St., P.O. Box 7220
Neve Ne'eman Industrial Zone
Hod Hasharon 45421, Israel
Tel: +972-9-775-5100, Cell: +972-54-893019
Fax: +972-9-775-5111

E-mail: < >.
< >

Notice: The information in this email and in any attachments is confidential
and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). It
must not be disclosed to any person without authorization. If you are not
the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are not authorized to and must not disclose, copy,
distribute, or retain this message or any part of it.