Re: [802SEC] Definitions for IEEE 802 Network and IEEE 802 Family of standards

James,

Reminder that you asked 802.11 (ARC) to look into helping with this definition.  We plan to complete that discussion next week.

Here is our current thinking/direction, FYI:

IEEE 802 ® network: an interconnected group of two or more devices that forward user data frames according to IEEE 802 medium access control (MAC) addresses, and IEEE 802 MAC addresses identify the endpoints of the communication.

You’ll note that we tried to side-step the issues you list below, by:

  • Referencing using IEEE 802 MAC address, rather than referencing IEEE 802 MAC/PHY standard
  • Just saying that all the devices are “interconnected” without getting into whether they are/can be “bridged”

I think that means 802.15.4 is included, for example.  And, it avoids debate/discussion about things like the 802.11 Distribution System being a non-802 network “under the hood”.

Mark