[STDS-802-11-REG] OFCOM TVWS December 3 workshop slides available

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/whitespaces/annexes/workshop.pdf

Slides 50-53 Next Steps

 This consultation, published on 22 November 2012, will last seven weeks. The closing date for responses is 10 January 2013.

 Following closure of the consultation, we will review the responses and will, where appropriate, amend the example SI and draft IR, and VNS before notifying the European Commission of these documents. In parallel, we will publish a statement on the outcome of the present consultation. We hope to do these in the first quarter of 2013.

 Following the notification to the EC and expiry of a three month “standstill” period, and on the basis that no detailed opinions have been received, we will be in a position to undertake the one month statutory UK consultation on the draft SI. We intend to do this once the first WSDBs have successfully undergone Ofcom’s qualification process. This will be followed by a statement on the adoption of the SI.

Database requirements and qualification

 We are still developing the details of the WSDB requirements and translating these requirements into a draft database contract for WSDBs and Ofcom.

 Once the work has sufficiently progressed we will publish the WSDB requirements and a draft contract. We expect this to happen in the first half of 2013. We will then discuss these with stakeholders through a series of workshops.

 We are also considering holding an end to end trial to test the interoperability of Ofcom systems, WSDBs and devices, and to help us fine tune the contract.

 Once we are confident that the draft contract addresses all required aspects of the relationship, in particular when it comes to dealing with interference, we expect to start the process of entering into contracts with WSDB providers and carrying out the assessment of the WSDBs’ compliance with the qualification requirements.

Co-existence with incumbent services

 We have engaged with stakeholders on the technical parameters for co-existence between WSDs and incumbent users.

 We have not yet decided on the parameter values.

 We intend to publish a consultation document to summarise our proposals in the first half of 2013.

 We will also include in that consultation the proposed role of Ofcom in quantifying the TVWS availability across the UK subject to the defined co-existence criteria.

Enhanced mode

 Our baseline framework, described in our statement of 2011, involves the automatic reporting of device parameters from WSDs to WSDBs.

 Analysis has indicated that fixed WSDs may benefit from enhanced TVWS availability, if certain parameters of these devices are reported by the WSD user.

 This “enhanced mode” raises questions regarding device authorisation and Ofcom’s arrangements with the WSDB providers and the organisations putting the devices into operation.

 We aim to return to the “enhanced mode” once the details of the “baseline mode” have been finalised. We intend to do this by publishing a consultation.

Instead, go to http://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=STDS-802-11-REG and then press the LEAVE button.