Re: [STDS-802-11-TGAI] REVmc D7.0 updates done to TGai draft.

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 02:24:41PM +0200, Marc Emmelmann wrote:
> In order to allow for people to review his work, Lee has produced a TGai D9.1 which is available in the members' area.
>
> http://www.ieee802.org/11/private/Draft_Standards/11ai/index.html

> 	* Clause 11.3.3 had lots of text from REVmc but as near as I could determine the only change is to the first paragraph so I deleted all the rest.

I thought all of 11.3.3 changes would have been removed from P802.11ai
based on the State 5 discussion, i.e., I would have deleted even the
change to the first paragraph. 691r2 is not very clear on this, though.

In addition, 11.3.1 does not have any remaining changes in D9.1, so it
should be deleted.

> 	* Clause 11.3.4.1 does not appear to have any changes to REVmc so I deleted it.

Correct; all the changes were removed as part of the State 5 resolution.

> 	* Clause 11.3.5.5, changes being made by TGai do not make sense for the last 2 sentences. Just what is being said by these changes that the original REVmc doesn't say?

This looks a bit broken. The difference in FILS is that there is no
4-way handshake (well, that matches FT which was already supposed to be
handled here..). I think the changes to the "Upon a successful
completion.." sentence should be reverted in P802.11ai (that sentence
applies for the cases where 4-way handshake is used). The last two
sentences should be something like "If FILS authentication was used, the
SME shall enable protection by generating an
MLME-SETPROTECTION.request(Rx_Tx) primitive and the state for the STA
shall be set to State 4."

This is a bit borderline on being claimed as an editorial change, but I
believe this is what the text in D9.1 was trying to do by first deleting
the "set to State 4" from 4-way handshake case and then using "In either
case" to refer to both 4-way handshake and no 4-way handshake (FT +
FILS) and as such, changing these two sentences to the text I have above
would not change any behavior.

By the way, there is also a typo in the updated baseline in P802.11ai:
"afast BSS transition" ("afast" is missing a space).

> 	* Clause 12.6.1.1.8 changes to the third from last sentence don't seem right after making the REVmc changes.

There seem to be some editorial issues in D9.1 here with incorrect
underlining.. P802.11ai/D9.1 does not the "the FT handshake is received"
part; that's what got added in REVmc to cover the FT case. The new
sentence with FILS added should read (text added in P802.11ai shown with
underline):

"A GTKSA is created by the Supplicant’s SME when message 3 of the 4-way
handshake is received, when message 1 of the group key handshake is
received, or when the Reassociation Response frame of the FT handshake
_or the FILS authentication_ is received _with a status code
indicating success_."

> 	* Clause 12.6.14 is an example of places where we are making a change to one or two paragraphs out of many in the clause. In this case, I deleted everything after ".. are as follows:"

That looks fine, but the "e)" at the end should likely be removed as
well (page 127 line 54).

> 	* Clause 12.7.1.7.1 added AKMs to what had been in REVmc but that part of the sentence was deleted in D7.0. Based on the new REVmc, I think we should delete our revisions, thus deleting this subclause from our draft.

Is that clause number correct? P802.11ai/D9.0 does not add anything in
12.7.1.7.1 that would look like an AKM. Maybe this was supposed to be
referring to 12.7.1.7.2? That is still in P802.11ai/D9.1, though, but
the edits would not match REVmc/D7.0. I agree with removing all changes
to this subclause from P802.11ai.