From: Kathryn Bennett [mailto:k.bennett@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: 26 July 2017 19:36
To: Adrian P Stephens <adrian.p.stephens@xxxxxxxx>; Stephen McCann <smccann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Angela Thomas <a.n.thomas@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: P802.11aq

Dear Gentlemen,

I received the following feedback from the RAC regarding P802.11aq:

12.2.10 Requirements for support of MAC privacy enhancements

To set a random MAC address, a STA shall assign a random 48-bit value and then shall set the sixth bit of the first octet to one (indicating a locally administered MAC address) and the seventh bit of the first octet to zero (indicating unicast). Using 46 bits of randomness ensures that the probability of random MAC address collision on even the largest networks remains acceptably small.

As an aside, this is a different than the 44 bits implicitly allowed to be randomized in P802c.

1.  Random MAC address assignment would seem to be out-of-scope for the PAR.  The Project Scope reads:  "This amendment defines modifications to the IEEE 802.11 standard, above the physical layer (PHY), to enable delivery of pre-association Service Discovery information discovery by IEEE 802.11 stations (STAs).”  By extension, the ballot group therefore would not include all interested parties — typically a concern for RevCom.

2.  The CSD are not linked on the 802.11 PAR page, and I didn’t do a search of mentor for the CSD, but I expect the answer on compatibility with Std 802 was probably generic, and the random assignment quoted above certainly is not compatible with the optional capabilities of Std 802c.

lease give these comments consideration during the sponsor ballot process that is currently underway.  Thank you.

Kind regards,

Kathryn M. Bennett, Senior Program Manager

Operational Program Management, IEEE Standards Association

Office:  +1 732 465 5867  ~  Mobile:  +1 732 850 1768

Fostering technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity

Instead, go to http://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=STDS-802-11-tgaq and then press the LEAVE button.