Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBA] Call for presentations for May TGba F2F meeting

17/0029r6 has still not be posted, and by the time my next working

day starts the discussion will already have taken place

(Monday AM2, according to the last schedule I've seen).

Since there has been no indication of what changes, if any, will

have been made in r6 to address the comments I made previously, I

will reiterate these comments and suggest possible changes to

address them.

1) in Usage Model 1: Smart Home, I suspect the power required to move

the curtains twice a day will vastly exceed that required to run

a STA in legacy PS mode for a day (using a suitable listen interval

and BSS max idle period etc.).  So I don't think this particular part

of the usage model is convincing.  Even the door seems a bit borderline

to me (some kind of energy budget should be done to show that the

energy needed to operate the lock a couple of times a day is

significantly less than that needed to run a STA in legacy PS mode)

It has been indicated that this UM assumes the controller is powered

separately from the motor.  If so, this is a pretty broken design:

there's no point super-optimising the controller power consumption

when you've got a huge battery around to power the motor!  I assume

the lock part of the UM is not similarly deficient?

I suggest one of two possible changes:

- Preferably, just delete the "smart curtain" part of the UM

- If you really want to keep the "smart curtain" part of the UM,

make it explicit that this use case only applies when the curtain motor

and curtain controller are separately powered.  This will at least

be an indication that this is a UM of very limited applicability

In any case, also:

- provide an energy budget to show the lock part of the UM makes sense,

i.e. that the energy required by existing 802.11 is a significant

fraction of the energy required by the lock (including its motor)

2) in Usage Model 3: Outdoor Cattle Farms, I don't think it will make a

difference whether the emergency cow rustling signal takes 1 ms or 1 s

to get transmitted.  So I don't think "Delay should be a critical factor

in case of emergency report" is convincing.  I'm similarly unconvinced

by the Quick message/Incoming call notification/sensor alarm aspects

of Usage Model 1: Smart Home

If the emergency cow rustling signal is sent with a second or so's

latency, that will be quite sufficient.  This is eminently achievable

with existing 802.11.  Therefore the only benefit of WUR here is the

power benefit; "Delay should be a critical factor in case of emergency

report" is not a benefit provided by WUR over existing 802.11.

I suggest the following changes:

- Instead of claiming that "Delay should be a critical factor" for cows,

say that the delay needs to be no more than of the order of a second.

WUR can achieve this as well as existing 802.11, so the UM will allow

for WUR (but delay will not be an argument for it of itself)

- Similarly, for the Quick message/Incoming call notification/sensor alarm

stuff, say that the delay needs to be no more than a few hundred ms.

WUR can achieve this as well as existing 802.11, so the UM will allow

for WUR (but delay will not be an argument for it of itself)

Thanks,

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk