Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBA] Updated tentative agenda for TGba CRC call on [May 4th, Monday, 23:00 ET, 2 hours]

Hi Yunsong,

Thanks for initiating the discussion. I think the sentences you cited only describe the behavior within a single STA, in which case it will know for sure when a key is installed.

However, as you also pointed out, upon further study of the 4 way handshake and group key handshake, it is quite clear from the text that the completion of the handshake is a good indication that the peer STA has installed the relevant keys.

12.7.6.8 4-way handshake analysis

While message 4 serves no cryptographic purpose, it serves as an acknowledgment to message 3. It is required to inform the Authenticator that the Supplicant has installed the PTK and GTK and hence can receive encrypted frames.

12.7.7.5 Sample group key handshake

b) On receiving the EAPOL-Key frame, the Supplicant validates the MIC, decapsulates the GTK, the IGTK when present and the BIGTK when present, and uses the MLME-SETKEYS.request primitive to configure the GTK, PN, IGTK, RSC, IPN, BIGTK and BIPN in its STA.#2116)

c) The Supplicant then constructs and sends an EAPOL-Key frame in acknowledgment to the Authenticator.

12.7.9.4 Supplicant state machi…

When processing 4-way handshake message 3, the GTK, IGTK, and BIGTK if present, and WIGTK if present are decrypted from the EAPOL-Key frame and installed. The PTK shall be installed before the GTK and IGTK.

However, we did miss few subclauses (cited above) in which we should also include the installation of WTK and WIGTK as appropriate. I will go ahead and do that.

Regards,

Rojan