Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] Minutes posted for Oct 12th Telecon

On Friday's teleconference, I took an action item to propose some text setting a convention for the use of the term "EAPOL frame".

In investigating the wording for this, I looked at 802.1-2010 for an updated reference place for this concept.  Looking there, I note that Clause 11 is where this 'frame' is defined in detail.  And, that clause is quite consistent in using the term 'EAPOL PDU' for the information units exchanged between PAEs.  While other parts of 802.1X are less consistent, this clause seems to layout the idea that EAPOL PDUs are exchanged via the MAC transmission and reception of EAPOL frames.  EAPOL PDUs are MSDUs to the MAC Service.

Thus, I propose:

Add a definition in subclause 3.2, "EAPOL-Key frame: An 802.11 data MPDU which carries an 802.1X EAPOL PDU."

Add a sentence to the end of the second paragraph of subclause 4.2.5: "Within 802.11, EAPOL PDUs are carried as MSDUs within data MDPUs, as described in 802.1X-2010, clause 11; data MPDUs used for this purpose are known within this Standard as EAPOL-Key frames."

Change the start of the sentence in 4.10.2, "IEEE 802.1X authentication frames are transmitted in IEEE 802.11 data frames ..." to "IEEE 802.1X EAPOL PDUs are transmitted in IEEE 802.11 data MPDUs known as EAPOL-Key frames ..."

In the table in subclause 6.3.22.1.2, change "EAPOL-Key frame" to "EAPOL PDU"

I also suggest we update the references to 802.1X to be to the 802.1X-2010 revision.  On a quick scan, I don't see that there is any terminology becomes out-of-date.  There are a couple specific clause references that need updating: in 11.6.2, clause references to 7.1 need to be 11.3 for the first occurrence and 11 for the second.  I believe we can just change 802.1X-2004 to 802.1X-2011 in all other occurrences.  But, I'm not an expert on this, and experts should review for any subtle changes.  I could perhaps submit this as a comment on D1.0, if we're more comfortable with that.

Lastly, I also found many uses of the phrase “802.1X frame(s)” which I think slipped past Jouni’s list (by not having ‘EAPOL’ in them), but should also be modified in the same way.

I welcome comments on any of the above.

Mark