Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] Minutes posted for Oct 12th Telecon

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Jon Rosdahl <jrosdahl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ACTION ITEM: Jouni to take some time to research and provide a proposal for
> the usage of the “EAPOL_Key frame”’ name issue.

Existing references to Data frames that use EAPOL ethertype:

IEEE Std 802.11-2012:

EAPOL-Key frame
EAPOL-Key Frame
IEEE 802.1X EAPOL-Key frame
802.1X EAPOL-Key frame
EAPOL-Key
EAPOL-Key message
EAPOL-Key Message
EAPOL-Key 4-Way Handshake Message
EAPOL-Key request frame
EAPOL-Key Request frame
EAPOL-Key request message
EAPOL request message
IEEE 802.1X EAPOL frame
EAPOL message
EAPOL-Start message
EAPOL-Start packet
IEEE 802.1X EAPOL-Start message
EAP authentication frame
EAP-Request/Identity message

IEEE Std 802.1X-2010

EAPOL PDU
EAPOL frame
EAPOL-Key
EAPOL-Key frame
EAPOL-Start
EAPOL-Start frame
EAPOL-Start PDU
EAPOL-Start packet
EAPOL-EAP frame
EAP message

"EAPOL* frame" and "EAPOL*" are the most commonly used forms.

Proposal for P802.11-REVmc:

EAPOL-Key Frame --> EAPOL-Key frame
IEEE 802.1X EAPOL-Key frame --> EAPOL-Key frame
802.1X EAPOL-Key frame --> EAPOL-Key frame
EAPOL-Key message --> EAPOL-Key frame
EAPOL-Key Message --> EAPOL-Key frame
EAPOL-Key Request frame --> EAPOL-Key request frame
EAPOL-Key request message --> EAPOL-Key request frame
EAPOL request message --> EAPOL-Key request frame
IEEE 802.1X EAPOL frame --> EAPOL frame
EAPOL message --> EAPOL frame
EAPOL-Start message --> EAPOL-Start frame
EAPOL-Start packet --> EAPOL-Start frame
IEEE 802.1X EAPOL-Start message --> EAPOL-Start frame
EAP authentication frame --> EAP message