Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] Fwd: CID 4137

Hello, Mark.

Continuing our discussion during the TGmd call today, here is the updated proposed resolution.

Comment:

Why is bit 0 of the SIG-1 symbol of the short preamble reserved and set to 1 rather than 0? Is it reserved for future use or is it reserved for some other reason? If it will always be the value 1 then we can use it to further verify the short preamble signal field, which is protected by a weak CRC4.

Proposed Change (by the commenter):

Add a note saying why b0 of the S1G-1 symbol of the short preamble is reserved.

Resolution:

Revised

Note to Commenter:

23.3.19 (PHY receive procedure) clearly states that S1G STAs “shall maintain PHY-CCA.inditation(BUSY, channel-list) for the predicted duration of the transmitted PPDU … for all … Reserved SIG or SIG-A Indication” (D3.3 P3434L28).  This allows future 802.11 amendment(s) to set the reserved bit to the ‘other’ value (0 in this case), and S1G STAs will defer for the duration of that ‘new’ PPDU and not interfere with it.  This allows S1G and future amendment STA to successfully coexist, and thus is a ‘reserved’ bit (reserved for future use).

The reserved bit is set to the value 1 because the SIG field is not scrambled, hence could have a long string of contiguous 0 bits, which could lead to high PAPR of the SIG symbol.  Hence, reserved bits in PHY preamble are typically set to 1 to avoid such occurrence of long string of 0 bits.

During the review of the comment, however, it was found that “Reserved SIG-B Indication” at REVmd D3.4 P3442.8 is not defined.  While the comment was on short preamble, and SIG-B exists only for long preamble, this is deemed an error worth correcting.  The instruction to editor below defines that term.

Instruction to Editor:

Add the following sentence at REVmd D3.4 P3442L8.

“Reserved SIG-B Indication is defined as a SIG-B with any of the Reserved bits equal to 0 or MCS not included in 23.5 (Parameters for S1G-MCSs).”

Regards,

Youhan