Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] 11-21/790 - 6 GHz comment resolution

Thanks, Youhan.

Regarding the naming of "Standard power AP" (1) and "Indoor standard power AP" (4),

while it may well be the case that a number of regulatory bodies use this

term to mean "you need some kind of frequency coordination system",

this is by no means global.

For instance, my understanding is that currently at least CEPT has no

such category, and so no device operating in corresponding countries

would be a "Standard power AP" as currently described.  Standard-power

APs in CEPT countries would be low-power indoors/very low-power APs.

I repeat my suggestion that a more neutral term be used.  If there is a

need to tie this with terminology used in certain regdoms then there

could be informative text to that effect (e.g. "NOTE—An AP with external

regulatory system [or whatever neutral term we come up with] is referred to as a

Standard Power AP in FCC, ACMA and Costa Rican regulatory domains.", or an informative

column in the table).  I note though that your discussion section

suggests "SP"s are in fact only allowed in the FCC regulatory domain.

As regards 1 v 3, my initial interpretation would be that

"an enabling signal (as defined by the regulatory rules) from an indoor AP or an indoor standard power AP"

is "control from an external system" and hence that

"operation requires control from an external system" overlaps with

"operation relies on being able to successfully receive an enabling signal (as defined by the regulatory rules) from an indoor AP or an indoor standard power AP".

In other words, as currently described an "Indoor enabled AP"

is also a "Standard power AP".

Thanks,

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk