Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] External comment on Annex G.3 of 802.11-2020

Hi Mike,

As you may be aware, I am painstakingly going through the Standard with respect to Annex G (see 21/1143r3).  In ARC we have a tentative agreement that we will divorce ANNEX G from the definition of “frame exchange sequence” and hence Annex G does not then have the authority it now has.  We have shown that Annex G does not include all the frame exchange sequences in the body text and hence it is proving a problem.  This can only get worse as new amendments are added.

I am seeking (and have proposed) a definition of “frame exchange sequence” that works.  I have gone through the entire text and have shown that, where used, “frame exchange sequence” is correct except for a couple of places which are easily remedied (these would need correcting in any case as they use the term incorrectly).

In my personal view, assuming I am successful in my quest of getting an acceptable definition, then ANNEX G may be either deleted, renamed, made Informative, re-worked to be more readable, or something else.  In the latter cases, it will need to be corrected and checked (a daunting task).  I personally would be worried that it could easily counter or confuse the body text, even if informative, and hence my personal recommendation would be to delete ANNEX G.

Having said all that, I would recommend that TGme waits until ARC has made its decisions and recommendations on ANNEX G.  Correcting typos may seem trivial, but if for some strange decision (personal view :>) , we decide to keep it, there may be a lot of changes and additions required.

Thanks

Graham