Re: [STDS-802-11] IEEE 802.11 Mandatory Technical Letter Ballot 225 for P802.11ax Draft 1.0 Starts Today

HI Adrian,

I have to admit I am uncomfortable in that the DensiFy members will effectively face zero consequences as a result of their 3 years(?) of activity that has been investigated and reported as acting against the rules and interests of 802.11.  It is quite obvious that what will happen is that we will see all the DensiFy companies send in their letters so that by the next meeting it will be business as usual.   As such there will be zero consequences for these companies and, I am sure, not even an apology.

Your ruling was as follows:

Question:  how does being in special measures affect the ballot group (also known as the voter pool)?

Answer:  It doesn’t.  The ballot group will consist of the voting members of 802.11 at the time of the start of the initial WG ballot and remain frozen until the end of the recirculation series.

I interpret the word “treat” in the instruction in the approved remedy (“treat the vote of all individuals affiliated with DensiFi SIG members as a single vote”) to relate to the act of counting the votes.

So the voter pool is individuals and their Letter Ballot votes count without any regard to whether they are affiliated to a DensiFy company.  That is fine.  When comments are resolved, however, motions on the resolutions are subject to the "single vote" rule.  If, however, each company has by then sent in its letter of withdrawal from the SIG, then each member can vote unhindered.

I can appreciate that this is in line with EC ruling but again I ask "where is the punishment?"  As the "single vote" rule did not come into effect until after San Antonio, and by the time we assemble in Atlanta I predict DensiFy will have disbanded, there will be zero consequences for the misdeeds of DensiFy

As the voter pool was effectively fixed for this draft, there is a case to be made that until D1.0 has completed comment resolution, the "single vote" rule should stay in effect - irrespective of whether the company has "withdrawn" from DensiFy

In my particular case, I complained about dominance with respect to the  Spatial Reuse part of 11ax.  Having 'endeared'  myself to the powerful and numerous members of the SIG, I ask myself do I once again place myself in the position of yet again presenting and explaining the benefits of my spatial reuse scheme (and possibly pointing out the problems of those in the draft) only to be voted down by a block?  I can call for a recorded vote, maybe even ask for separated recorded votes, ex-DensiFy on one side, and non-DensiFy on the other side, but that will not change the result.  Reaching out has proved completely fruitless.   I have not made a secret of it, but the way I have been treated by this group over the last 2 years, at numerous meetings, has caused such frustration that has not been good for my health, so this is not a light matter.

I would like to hear the opinions of others, for example:

·         Is it OK that having not had any hindrance in producing a D1.0, DensiFy, and having been shown to have participated in behavior against the interests and rules of 802.11, will suffer no consequences for their actions? (This of course assumes that each member of DensiFy will submit its letter before Atlanta – would be very surprised if they do not)

·         Should the past DensiFy members be subjected to the ‘single vote’ limit until the end of the D1.0 comment resolution?

·         Any other ideas?

Thank you

Graham