[STDS-802-11] LS response to ETSI ERM TG11

G’day all

One interesting side effect of COVID-19 restrictions on F2F meetings is that many more people than usual attended today’s IEEE 802.11 Coex SC teleconference. Thank you to the 150-odd people who attended today. I will assume you attended because coexistence is such a fascinating subject … and not because you wanted attendance credits. 😉

During today’s call, we approved a LS response to ETSI ERM TG11 in 11-20-0861-05. This was an “in-principle approval” because I was asked to make some editorial changes to the LS response before consideration by the WG on Thursday. In particular, I reversed the dot points, as requested, and cleaned up some other language. I hope I did not break anything. The resulting LS response to ETSI ERM TG11 is in 11-20-0861-06. If you spot any errors or further refinements please e-mail me ASAP. I intend asking the WG to approve the document on Thursday as a personal motion.

Today, we discussed the challenges of coexistence in the 5 GHz and 6 GHz bands in the context of ETSI BRAN. I  hope it was clear to the new attendees that finding the best set of tradeoffs for good coexistence is difficult at the best of times, but it is made even more difficult by the need to deal with coexistence between multiple technologies developed by different SDOs, sometimes in spectrum with billions of legacy devices. Everyone is urged to help find the best balance, especially as we move forward with 802.11be.

Andrew Myles

Chair of IEEE 802.11 Coex SC