Re: [STDS-802-11] ASTM Unmanned Aircraft Remote ID messages via BEACON frames

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 Working Group Reflector --- I have received private messages about "what is Remote ID?"

The context is Unmanned Aircraft (UA), commonly called Drones.  Regulators around the world (FAA in US) are requiring all UA over .25kg to broadcast their identity.  This is called Remote ID.  You can get the FAA final rules on this at:

https://www.faa.gov/news/media/attachments/RemoteID_Final_Rule.pdf

ASTM International's F38.02 workgroup has been working with the FAA and coordinating with ASD STAN in EU for the matching EU standard to develop the technology that UA manufacturers will use to comply with there rules.

there are 2 forms of Remote ID messaging:  Direct Broadcast over some RF that can be received by common equipment (e.g. smartphones).  And Network where either the UA or the Ground Control System (GCS) send the messages over an Internet Connection to a service that then provides the information to subscribers.

This discussion is on the Broadcast mode.  The FAA calls out Bluetooth 4 for the lowest level of compliance.  It allows for BT 5 and WiFi, but FAA rules are all "performance based".  It has been up to individual manufacturers or SDOs (like ASTM) to develop the technology.  The ASTM document is only available for purchase:  F3419.

For WiFi, F3419 specifies NAN.  Then in France, they came up with using BEACONs, rather than say OCB, and are pushing it through ASD STAN which pushes it back to ASTM.

We are unfortunately on a very short time line where I probably cannot get things switched to OCB over "regular' channels.  Of course someone with a bigger hammer can show this community why using Beacons is not a sound approach.

Bob

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 Working Group Reflector --- WRT the OID for the Vendor ID.  Currently,

90-3A-E6   (hex)        PARROT SA
903AE6     (base 16)        PARROT SA
                174 Quai de Jemmapes
                Paris    75010
                FR

Is being used.  But the desire is for a specific OID for this purpose.

This is concerning work being done in ASTM F38.02 on ver 1.1 of the Remote ID standard.

The current version sends the Remote ID messages over Bluetooth 4 Advertisement Frames, BT 5 long range, or WiFi NAN.

In France they have worked out a scheme and are pushing it in ASD STAN to use the Vendor IE in BEACONs.  Others like Skydio have jumped on this approach.  It doesn't seem too bad, but aren't the devils always lurking in the details?

Think about 50 - 100 UAs (Unmanned Aircraft, i.e. Drones) overhead sending out these BEACONs.  The current thought is to use a random SSID for each UA.  Works fine in testing to the apps on some devices...  But I am thinking about all the non-participating (that is they do not have a UA Remote ID app) devices seeing all these beacons and what it will do to their SSID table?

My thought is that there should be a standard SSID used by all UAs world-wide.  Something short to keep the frame size down.  Can't be unique for UA use only, but that is OK.

Then what about the Country IE.  Should this be sent?  It is one way to keep each country for insisting on its own SSID and then needing a registry of said SSIDs for the apps.

Of course ASTM would have to come to 802 to get an OID as well (I dont' know what they are using in France right now).

Any other IE to bring up in the discussion?  We have a teleconference tomorrow....

Thank you for any advice.

Bob