stds-802-16-tg2: possible PAR changes

Phil,

One thing that will kill the approval of a standard is having a draft
that doesn't match the PAR under which it was created. In this case,
we need to first change the PAR.

Currently, we have one problem. We have been using the title
"Recommended Practice for Coexistence of Broadband Wireless Access
Systems" (and I have submitted a comment suggesting that we add the
word "Fixed"). The PAR Title is "Telecommunications and Information
Exchange Between Systems - LAN/MAN Specific Requirements -
Coexistence of Broadband Wireless Access Systems," so it seems that a
PAR change is in order.

I am trying to arrange the schedule so we can make the PAR change
without slowing our progress. I'll keep you abreast of this.

In the meantime, I'd like you to have a look at the rest of the PAR:
	http://ieee802.org/16/tg2/par.html
and see whether we should be changing other items at the same time.
In particular, could you please take a look at the Scope and Purpose
Statements below and let me know whether they still apply? They don't
need to be perfect, since they don't appear in the standard, but they
ought to be accurate, and we certainly can't go outside the scope.

If it works out the way I hope, we can approve these changes at Session #11.

Regards,

Roger
------------------------------

Scope:

This project covers development of a Recommended Practice for the
design and coordinated deployment of broadband wireless access (BWA)
systems to minimize interference so as to maximize system performance
and/or service quality. This practice will provide for coexistence
using frequency and spatial separation and will cover three areas.
First, it will recommend limits of in-band and out-of-band emissions
from BWA transmitters through parameters including radiated power,
spectral masks and antenna patterns. Second, it will recommend
receiver tolerance parameters, including noise floor degradation and
blocking performance, for interference received from other BWA
systems as well as from other terrestrial and satellite systems.
Third, it will provide coordination parameters, including band plans,
separation distances, and power flux density limits, to enable
successful deployment of BWA systems with tolerable interference. The
scope includes interference between systems deployed across
geographic boundaries in the same frequency band and systems deployed
in the same geographic area in different frequency bands (including
different systems deployed by a single license-holder in sub-bands of
the licensees authorized bandwidth). The scope does not cover
coexistence issues due to intra-system frequency re-use within the
operator's licensed band, and it does not consider the impact of
interference created by BWA systems on non-BWA terrestrial and
satellite systems.

Purpose:

The purpose of this recommended practice is to provide coexistence
guidelines to license holders, service providers, deployment groups,
and system integrators. The equipment parameters contained within
this practice will benefit equipment and component vendors and
industry associations by providing design targets. The benefits of
this practice will include:

*	Coexistence of different systems with higher assurance that
system performance objectives will be met.
*	Minimal need for case-by-case interference studies and
coordination between operators to resolve interference issues.
*	Preservation of a favorable electromagnetic environment for
deployment and operation of BWA systems, including future systems
compliant to the 802.16 interoperability standard.
*	Optimization of coverage and spectrum utilization.
*	Cost-effective system deployment.