stds-802-16-tg2: Re: Recirculation ballot

Phil,

I'd like to discuss the recirculation process.

The 802 balloting rules basically follow the IEEE balloting rules:
	http://standards.ieee.org/guides/opman/sect5.html#5.4

I draw your attention to this extract on recirculation:

'All substantive technical changes made in the final draft to resolve
comments, objections, and negative votes, and all unresolved negative
votes, together with the reasons of the negative voter and the
rebuttal by the members conducting the resolution of the ballots,
shall be submitted to the members... Balloting group members shall
have an opportunity to change their previously cast ballots. A change
to "do not approve," which shall be submitted with comments, shall be
based only on the changed portions of the balloted document, clauses
affected by the changes, or portions of the balloted document that
are the subject of the unresolved negative votes. Names of the
unresolved negative voters are to be included with their negative
comments in the recirculation of negative comments. Further
resolution efforts may be required if additional negative votes
result.'

Note that we are recirculating the changes, not the new document. We
are asking people if they would like to reconsider their vote based
on the proposed changes. This means that it is NOT essential that we
post a new version. I think this should give you a little more time
that you had planned.

In the _final_ recirc, we need to include the comments of negative
voters on the version being recirculated. However, in this round, I
think it is sufficient to include their comments on Draft 1, along
your response to them. If we still have negatives after this first
recirc, we can use Session #11 to discuss them. The _final_ recirc
(hopefully, the one following Session #11) must include the comments
of the negative voters regarding the final version. [If the negative
voters don't attend, it may be harder to obtain these statements. We
can give them a deadline.]

Also, in the _final_ recirc we ought to have a final document, in
addition to a change list, for people to vote on.

Now, how does this all affect our current process?

The main thing is that we need to vote on comment resolutions that
are very explicit. In other words, anyone (expert or not) should be
able to interpret each resolution as an editing instruction that
specifies a document change. Many of the comments in the database are
this explicit and can be accepted as is. However, I would guess that
most are vague or inaccurate and cannot be unambiguously interpreted.
Also, many have their own editorial shortcomings. It is the job of
the TG2 editorial group to turn these raw comments into editing
instructions.

I suggest that you add a few columns to the spreadsheet:

(1) Clause Editor's comment [from your appointed Clause Editors].
(2) Clause Editor's proposed resolution (a specific instruction).
(3) Editorial groups's resolution

As Phil suggested, to get from (2) to (3) you ought to circulate the
proposed resolutions on the TG2 reflector for a few days.

At the end of the process, you can send me the spreadsheet back. I
will import it into the existing database and use it as the basis of
the recirculation letter ballot. Allow me one day for this job. If we
run a little late, then the deadline will fall on the weekend before
Session #11, which won't be a disaster; we'll still have the results
back in time for the meeting.

Regards,

Roger