[STDS-802-16] New IEEE Standard 802.16-2004!

Dear Friends of IEEE 802.16:

As you will see below, we have good news today: P802.16-REVd/D5 has
been approved as IEEE Standard 802.16-2004!

By the end of July, we hope to publish the professionally edited IEEE
Standard 802.16-2004. It will be a revision of the existing standard,
replacing its three volumes:
        IEEE Standard 802.16-2001
        IEEE Standard 802.16c-2002
        IEEE Standard 802.16a-2003

We found out in this project how difficult a revision can be, and how
uncomfortable is it to have a revision process open. This work was
accomplished with the help of many, many people. However, I'd
particularly like to acknowledge the following:

(a) Gordon Antonello, the Task Group d Chair. Gordon accepted the TGd
Chair position back in late 2002, when the original PAR was drafted.
However, that early PAR was not for a revision but for a simple
amendment to add some profiles. We expected to complete that project
in late 2003. With the transition of the PAR to a revision project
last summer, the task became vastly more complicated, and we ended up
with a 915-page document. Gordon stuck with the job and completed it.
For reference: when we wrote the PAR in May 2003, we targeted a
RevCom submittal date of 19 March 2004. The actual submittal was 14
May. We like to run on schedule but, given the large number of
improvements introduced, I think that two months late is very close
to our goal.

(b) Iztik Kitroser, the Chief Technical Editor. Itzik had an
incredibly difficult job, handling a huge document and hundreds of
changes, some of them enormous. He needed to become an expert in
FrameMaker and IEEE style, and he needed to know the draft's
organization and technical content well enough to be able to
understand ambiguous comment resolutions. Iztik spent countless hours
on this job, and we owe him. During some of the ballot cycles, Itzik
had a lot of strong support from Assistant Editor Bob Nelson. Also,
back when we still had an amendment project, Nico van Waes served as
Technical Editor and got the initial editing off the ground.

But, of course, a standard doesn't happen without the support of many
people developing their individual contributions and working to make
it all fit together. Congratulations to the entire 802.16 Working
Group on this landmark achievement!

Cheers!

Roger

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:marks@nist.gov> +1 303 497 3037
National Institute of Standards and Technology/Boulder, CO, USA
Chair, IEEE 802.16 Working Group on Broadband Wireless Access
        <http://WirelessMAN.org>