RE: [RPRWG] Cut through definition?

Carey,

I'm very glad that you brought up the issue of goodput vs. SLA. It's our
view
that one customer's QoS should not suffer for another customer's goodput.
A customer's SLA typically includes burst parameters that specify how much
the
customer is allowed to burst over his or her committed rate. This burst
needs
to be absorbed by the line card, and should not be propagated to the ring
where
it could adversely affect other customers who conform to their SLA contract.

In other words, we don't believe that strict priority is the right solution
for
SLA-based public networks. Imagine, one customer wants to burst twice his
SLA
rate (10G) for 1 hour and then go quiet for the next hour. Had we let his
traffic
on the ring, other customers wouldn't get any BW for one hour! Although this
is
an extreme example, it illustrates that maximize goodput alone is not a
sound
policy for a shared public networks.

Delay and jitter must be taken into consideration while RPR flow control
attempts
to maximize goodput.

Adisak