Re: [RPRWG] More comments on preemption

Ajay:

It's a lot easier to sort out once you list frame sizes for other protocols
and applications. Ethernet just happens to be the frame format we are going to
be using, but there is nothing that precludes a larger frame size. I have no
idea why hardware cost will go up if the MAC supports a larger frame size.
Maybe the transit/transmit buffers inside the MAC, but we're talking about
20-30K of memory (maybe more if deeper buffers are required) for that. This by
itself is not a major cost point. Other than that everything else would fall
to the system side.

There is nothing in RPR that magically should come to 1518 bytes. We're
talking about NBMA networks, not CSMA/CD - packets go from one node and end up
at another node before being sent out to the third node (through cut-through
or store-and-forward). And, if any network cannot tolerate larger MTU sizes,
nodes can always negotiate lower MTU - this is fairly standard.

I know Windows & Unix platforms have been supporting jumbo frame sizes for
about 2+ years now, there was an article in Internet Week giving performance
figures for OSes for jumbo packets. There is an IETF draft on jumbo packets
for Ethernet networks (I don't know the status of the draft; I can find and
send a copy).

The 1518 byte size has a historic background behind it, and we need to support
it but we need to move forward and "allow" for much larger sizes so
applications such as SAN can readily use RPR without much fragmentation. We
need to move with times and allow for developments. We definitely are
maintaining packet formats, so that should keep Ethernet happy.

Regards,
Pankaj