From: Pankaj K Jha [mailto:pkj@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2001 1:50 PM
To: Denton Gentry
Cc: stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RPRWG] More comments on preemption

Fully agreeing with Denton, there are many situations that need large
frames. Maximum packet sizes for SAN networks is also larger than Ethernet
MTU. IP over FR or ATM (rfc2225) specifies 9K. Especially for SAN, allowing
larger frame size for RPR would immediately allow RPR to be used for SAN
applications over metro/WAN areas. Routers/aggregators don't need to
fragment a sector data before sending over to RPR network.

Consider an RPR ring providing TLS and/or aggregation services on a metro
ring: people could connect their LAN, SAN, and WAN equipment without
worrying too much about fragmenting packets. SANs (a large growth segment)
will be able to operate across a wider area using RPR without any
performance degradation, for example.

A need for preemption due to jitter/latency fears is unfounded. I don't know
of any application where a few microseconds (even a few tens of
microseconds) will make a huge difference. Should there be networks where
this does become a big issue, routers can always negotiate a smaller MTU.

And, at lower rates everything runs at a lower rate (including
high-priority traffic) so there should not be an extra concern for latency.

-Pankaj