[RPRWG] Donations of networking equipment.

RPRWGers,

I would like all of you to take a moment and check with your
companies to see if there is any older equipment that they
are no longer using that could be donated to .17 to build out
or networking equipment.

If you believe that you can access some equipment please let me
know.

I believe that I may be able to get the following from Cisco
1) An 802.11b wireless access point (not yet confirmed)
2) laptop to act as a web server (confirmed)

I checked with Bob Grow (treasurer of 802) and the 802 treasury
is not responsible for outfitting dot groups.

I am putting together a proposal to purchase the following
equipment.

1) Ethernet Router (with 4 ports + uplink) that will provide
DHCP, NAT and a firewall. This will allow us to access the
internet should we chose to pay for a hookup. Internet
access is not always budgeted by 802 for plenaries. The DHCP
server function will allow us to easily configure the network.

2) 8 10/100BT hubs (likely be 5 or 8 ports) This would allow
44 or 58 wired users (the wireless link will allow many more
users)

3) Enough cable to hook up the router, acesss point, server
and hubs, but not enough to wire each individual computer.
(wiring to the hub is each individual's responsability and
reduces the amount of stuff I would have to lug).

4) A suitcase or travel box for all of the equipment.

Bob Grow explained to me that we basically have to pass the
hat at our meetings to get the money to pay for this equipment.
He also informed me that it is frowned upon for a WG to
actually have a treasury, so the idea would be to spend whatever
we collect so I will find a useful way to spend the money.

I will put together a budget, but I suspect that the cost will
run to about $1200 - $1500 (C$). If we request people to donate
about $10 US per person (easy round number) we should easily
raise $1100 (US).

I would like to hear from people who think this is a bad idea
and would not want to contribute the cash.

I would also like to hear from people who agree with the concept
but have different ideas on the appropriate equipment to buy.

thanks,

mike
--
Michael Takefman              tak@xxxxxxxxx
Manager HW Engineering,       Cisco Systems