RE: [RPRWG] CRC check in each node?

Ray,

Unfortunately, we are back to the store-and-forward question.  If
store-and-forward is not used, we'd have to put a trailer on the end of each
packet.  If store-and-forward is used, then a bit in the header could
indicate the packet is already known to be errored.

An alternative to addressing the store-forward limitation could be
to set the payload CRC to a specific error value, upon detection of a bad
CRC.
This can be used to indicate to subsequent
stations that the payload error has already been detected and
accounted for.  By using the CRC field, moves the error indication to the
end of the packet and addresses the head of the packet dependency
on receiving the entire packet and validating CRC.    This provides
a mechanism for providing a user error indication, without
restricting a "cut-through" implementation.

I agree that if the RPR standard is going to support delivery
of data packets with bad user data CRC, then the RPR header
including TTL has to be protected by its own CRC/HEC.  If the intent
is to deliver packets having bad user data CRC to the end customer,
there needs specific addressing information in the RPR packet header
to allow for this, beyond the RPR station address.
For example, equipment deployed by the service provider servicing multiple
customers,
that interfaces to an RPR network, needs to have addressing information that
specifies the RPR station, so the RPR station can strip the packet from
the ring. The header also needs to support addressing information
that allows the RPR station to deliver to the appropriate client interface.

If the final addressing information that is used to deliver the packet
to the customer data interface is protected by the same CRC that is
used to validate the customer data, then a bad CRC indication makes
the packet undeliverable.

regards,

Bob

Robert Castellano