Re: [RPRWG] RPR Proposal

Siamack,

BIR does not imply a slotted ring.  It is a ring where transit frames have priority over ingress frames, unless transmission of the ingress frame is in progress, in which case the transit frame waits in an insertion buffer for the transmission to complete.  Definitions from the 'terms and definitions' document are appended below (see http://www.ieee802.org/17/documents/presentations/jul2001/jul_2001_presentations.htm for the terms and definitions documents).

Some terms used in the proposal have not yet been put in the T&D document so let me know if you have further questions.

Bob

buffer insertion ring (BIR):   A ring that allows transit frames to be transmitted ahead of ingress frames except when the latter has already begun transmission.  A station contains a transit buffer (insertion buffer) of sufficient size to store transit frames received during the time that an ingress frame is being transmitted.  In the worst case, a transit frame is delayed by the time required to transmit a frame of the MTU size at each station along the path.

buffer insertion method:  The method of using a BIR for ring transport and access.  The buffer insertion method can be applied to all traffic on the ring or to one or more specific traffic classes.

Siamack Ayandeh wrote:

Bob,

Could you please explain "Buffer Insertion Ring" ? Are you suggsting a slotted ring for
RPR?

Siamack