Re: [RPRWG] RPR and 1+1 linear APS like configuration.

Hi Bob

I am not sure what you mean by the statement "Under RPR, we could still use the
fast fault detection capability that is inherent in SONET, but we need a
protection scheme that re-routes packets the other way around the ring
without having to reserve specific protection bandwidth."

Whether you have to reserve bandwidth or not on both rings (ringlets actually in
RPR parlance)
will depend on the type of traffic you are protecting. If you need no delay,
jitter guarantees and are only interested in best effort traffic then I believe
that your last statement is true.

Regards

Ajay Sahai

"Solosko, Robert B (Bob)" wrote:

> Hello All,
>         Perhaps I've missed something here - I understood that one of the
> goals of RPR was to avoid the redundancy and reserved extra bandwidth that's
> typically required when using 1+1 APR, BLSR or UPSR. Even with BLSR with
> protection access, you use the extra bandwidth under normal conditions, but
> still lose it under a fault condition. Under RPR, we could still use the
> fast fault detection capability that is inherent in SONET, but we need a
> protection scheme that re-routes packets the other way around the ring
> without having to reserve specific protection bandwidth. In a fault
> condition, a resulting potential overload on some of the links around the
> ring would be handled by the fairness process and/or priority queuing, etc,
> at the layer 2/packet level.
>         So, what have I missed here?
>
> Bob Solosko

begin:vcard
n:Sahai;Ajay
tel;fax:845-731-2011
tel;work:845-731-2023
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:Ajay.Sahai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Sr. Software Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;P.O. Box 1609,=0D=0A6th Floor, Two Blue Plaza,;Pearl River;New York;10965;USA
end:vcard