[RPRWG] first cut of topology discovery taxonomy

RPRers,

I have attached a spreadsheet which contains a taxonomy of the topology
discovery algorithms that were proposed at the last meeting.  I put the spreadsheet
together to help us understand the various issues involved and the full range of possible
solutions.  I asked the presenters from the other six companies that presented
topology discovery papers at the last meeting to fill in the columns.  I then collated
their responses together unedited.

Of those six companies, I received responses from Cypress and AuroraNetics
(and, of course, from my company PMC-Sierra).  The columns for Lantern,
Luminous, Cisco, and Dynarc are from my listening of their presentations and
represent my suppositions only.  I had to send this out now because I am headed
out tomorrow on a long vacation.  I plan to send out another update of this just
before the meeting.  Hopefully I will receive responses from the other four
companies by then (George S. from Cisco indicated that he would reply when
he returned from vacation).  The four columns that are my suppositions are in italics.

If any other person would like me add a column for them, just answer the questions
and send it back.  If you would like to add new questions or new answers to the existing
questions, feel free to add them and mark what you have changed in bold.

  Thanks,
  Brian Holden

 <<topology taxonomy 02Aug01.xls>>

Brian Holden        PMC-Sierra, Inc.
3975 Freedom Circle, Santa Clara  CA  USA
+1.408.239.8123   Fax +1.408.492.9862
brian_holden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.pmc-sierra.com

topology taxonomy 02Aug01.xls