[RPRWG] Potential Problem with P802.17/D0.1 PHY proposal Draft 0.34 and related .pdf slides=incorrect mapping to SONET/SDH

All

1.  T1X1.5 and ITU SG15 have decided that RPR MAC frames are to be mapped to SONET/SDH using Frame Mode GFP with a null extension hdr.  This was a direct result of the liaison that we sent to T1X1.5 as output from our Sept 2001 meeting (there was no mention of byte stuffed HDLC as an alternative mapping in that liaison).  At the SG15 Nov meeting, GFP Ring mode text was removed in deference to the RPR-to GFP frame mode mapping.

This means there is currently no other way to map RPR MAC frames to SONET/SDH!  In particular, RPR mapping over "POS" would not be recogized (there would be an incompatibility if one RPR node used GFP and the other used "POS" mapping)

2.  Even more important, the Path Signal Label (PSL) code point assigned to "HDLC" in T1.105.02 (SONET) and G.707/G.783 (SDH) is for PPP over byte stuffed HDLC (AKA Packet over SONET or POS) with a specific payload scrambler.  Using byte stuffed HDLC without PPP is not POS, as it is defined by the IETF.  Thus, it would be a violation of use of that PSL code point.  Hence, the referenced RPR PHY proposal for RPR- "POS" mapping to SONET/SDH violates the definition of POS (RFC ___), in addition to both T1.105.02 (SONET)and G.707/G.783 (SDH) stds.

I have copied Steve Gorshe -the editor of T1.105 series standards and G.gfp- in on this mail and have dissucesed this issue with him

I will be writing separate mails on why I feel the current RPR proposal are too complicated to be deployed and maintained by service providers

Rgds

alan

Alan J Weissberger
DCT