[RPRWG] RE: Quote from ITU-T q11/SG15 Rapporteur 22 Nov 01) regarding RPR over GFP in G.gfp

I can add some further clarification on Alan's quote from Gilles Joncour.
Q11 doesn't see itself as having a decision to make at this time.  The
RPR UPI code point has been reserved per the 802.17 request (0000 1001)
and is noted in our GFP Living List document.  (Per ITU-T procedures, we
can't move the RPR code point into the GFP specification until the
802.17 group gets further along in its process, but the Living List
locks that code point down so that no one else can use it for another
application.)

As for the Extension Header, again Q11 sees no decision to make at this
time.  We have already expressed the desire to have 802.17 make that
recommendation back to Q11.  Q11 had preserved a ring extension header
as a placeholder since it had been defined prior to the 802.17 discussions.
Q11 has decided that ring topologies will be supported, but we would
prefer to see agreement between Q11 and 802.17.  The issue that prompted
Mr. Joncour's email is that we have moved the GFP ring Extension Header
out of our specification and onto the the GFP Living List pending more
information from 802.17.  Nortel had some reservations about that move
and sees value in preserving the GFP ring Extension Header for other,
non-RPR applications.  We expect that this will receive some further
discussion in Q11 (and T1X1).

In hope that clears up some of the confusion.

Best regards,

Steve Gorshe
Editor G.7041 (ex. G.gfp)