Re: [RPRWG] OK, we heard them talk, but what did they SAY?

Robert Castellano wrote:

> While support of CID processing could be
> done by the MAC to demultiplex to multiple
> clients, it radically impacts all three
> MAC definition proposals.  None of the 3
> 802.17 proposals, support multiple clients
> on top of the MAC.

Bob, I am now confused between the RPR client and end user/customer networks.

I thought the CID identifies end user/customer networks and not the RPR
client. An RPR client
may interface many end user/customer networks by definition as it is a point
of aggregation.
What an RPR client does with CIDs whether they are ignored or per flow
treated is beyond
RPR's scope.

> It also introduces
> a whole new set of issues in terms of managing
> bandwidth of multiple clients contending for
> access to the MAC, etc.  It sounds like an architectural
> problem for the MAC to terminate 100's of CID's
> at a single station.  How many clients should
> the 802.17 MAC support 100, 1000, 10000? I don't
> think you can build such a beast, unless the MAC
> absorbs the complexity of a high speed switch fabric.

Well it all depends on if there is money in making the beast!

> It is much more cleaner architecturally to perform
> the CID resolution in the upper layer.

That's what I thought was going to be done.

> I look forward to working together.
>
>         thanks,
>
>         bob
>
> Robert Castellano
> Jedai Broadband Networks
> rc@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:rc@xxxxxxxxx>
> (732) 758-9900 x236

begin:vcard
n:Ayandeh;Siamack
tel;fax:781 271 9988
tel;work:781 276 4192
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.onexco.com
org:Onex Communications Corporation
adr:;;34 Crosby Drive;Bedford;MA;01730;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:sayandeh@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Consulting Engineer
end:vcard