RE: [RPRWG] OK, we heard them talk, but what did they SAY?

Hi all,

I would like to add my understanding of these issues. They are mainly
based on what I roughly presented in May (see
http://www.ieee802.org/17/documents/presentations/may2001/ib_serv_01.pdf
).

Customer traffic separation (or even per-leased line traffic
separation) is definetly a requirement if we want to support
Transparent Lan Services.
This separation should not impact the customer's VLAN: two different
customers can have two overlapping VLAN spaces.

IP/MPLS are two possible technologies to achieve this goal. In that
sense 802.1 people are right.

However, using IP/MPLS does not help me to solve the problem of people
that wants to deploy L2 networks.
Is there a need for this? I think so: a lot of operators asked for such
solutions in the past meetings.

The right body to define this L2 technology is IEEE 802.
This functions is not a MAC function: it should be in a MAC-client. At
that time I called it 'RPR Service layer'.
However, for what I have understood up to now aboue 802 layering, this
is mainly an 802.1 issue than an 802.17 (as VLAN tags).

We should convince 802.1 people that there is a real need for such a
feature. That seems a difficult task, but I think we have good
arguments.

In order to achieve it, we should come out with a clear list of service
requirements we want to satisfy and then discuss them with 802.1.

Best regards, Italo

(http://www.ieee802.org/17/documents/presentations/may2001/nv_mac_02.pdf
)
> But that was before my time :-)
>

> > Defining a few bits in an RPR frame that
> > is processed by the client and not by the MAC
> > is not going to mean very much to the 802.17WG.
> > As far as the standard is concerned, if the MAC
> > accepts the bits from the client, places on the
> > ring and passes back up to destination client
> > and separation is maintained on the ring by virtue
> > of behavior in the client, then we have met that
> > objective.
>
> Agreed.
>

> > If the semantics of this ID are
> > transparent to the MAC and processed by the client,
> > then we do not need to consume working group time.
> > Someone needs to develop an entire framework
> > of how this field affects the forwarding rules
> > of the client and how this information is disseminated
> > throughout the network.  This is clearly outside
> > the scope of 802.17 MAC definition and standard.
> > That's not to say that many of the attendees
> > are interested in this problem as it relates to
> > supporting service provider networks.
>
> I'm not entirely convinced that it's outside the
> scope of 802.17.  For example, if we introduce
> the concept of multiple MAC clients sitting on
> top of the MAC, then it is the MAC that must
> forward it to the correct client based on the
> Customer ID.
>
> > I believe there is interest to solve this problem,
> > but if no one is committed to sponsoring as a
> > real project, we're wasting the working group's
> > time.
> >
> > Are you supportive of the 802.17WG pursuing
> > sponsorship for this and are you willing to help?
> >

> Yes & yes.
>
> -Anoop

WINMAIL.DAT