RE: [RPRWG] Gandalf - question on Framing

Hi all,

in my view both Gandalf and Alladin frame formats fits in our criteria.

- They allow a 'simple' mapping of Ethernet frames by putting the
common .3 and .17 fields (DA, SA and Type) in the same order
- They define a new MAC frame format

Having an HEC that covers all the RPR header (including DA and SA) is
very useful because allows cut-through nodes not delivering frames to
the wrong destination and this feature is very important in a
carrier-grade metro network. Both Allading and Gandalf are now aligned
on this issue.

Having the Ethernet based frame with the Type field saying that we are
carrying RPR means, IMO, that we are building a ring-oriented switching
technology on top of point-to-point Ethernet MACs.
This is not what we are doing according to our 5 criterias and PAR, as
Mike said. Both Allading and Gandalf are aligned on this issue.

The only difference is that while Gandalf puts the RPR specific fields
before the DA, SA and Type, Alladin does it after them.

Italo

WINMAIL.DAT