[RPRWG] Reaching Consensus

All, as we get ready for our upcoming January interim meeting we need to redouble our efforts to bring the three RPR proposals into agreement.  There should be multiple avenues of communication between the Alladin and Gandalf camps, and additional efforts to integrate the DVJ proposal.  I am concerned that moving toward agreement is being hampered because too few people are involved.

We need to work through differences and ideally develop a single proposal going into the January meeting.  My best technical judgment is that the group will have a much better first draft if there is a single proposal going into the January meeting, than if we arrive at a decision by voting.  The reason is obvious.  Voting at a meeting does not allow the quiet reflection time that a carefully crafted proposal can have that has been studied closely over a more significant time period beforehand.  In addition, if we go into the January meeting with a single proposal, we will have the entire meeting to focus on and potentially improve that proposal, rather than arguing the merits of competing proposals or creating a new compromise proposal.

For the benefit of all RPR stakeholders I implore everyone involved in this standards development to study the existing proposals and seek out ways of bringing them together.

Best regards,

Robert D. Love
Chair, Resilient Packet Ring Alliance
President, LAN Connect Consultants
7105 Leveret Circle     Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: 919 848-6773       Mobile: 919 810-7816
email: rdlove@xxxxxxxx          Fax: 208 978-1187