[RPRWG] OAM Proposal (ib_oamp_02)

Folks,

Looking at RPR OAM proposal and fault management there seems to be a
couple of issues. I appreciate it  if the points below are clarified.

Thanks, Siamack

In "ib_oamp_02" the purpose of introducing MAC layer ping and continuity
check seems to be twofold:
- to detect problems between the Phy and the MAC layer
- to deal with an station which may "steal" packets addressed to some
other station e.g. a station with dual identity

Now since each station has an east and a west facing Phy, the ping test
can not pin-point the Phy-MAC interface failure.  This failure may be
due to the west facing Phy-MAC of this station or the East facing
Phy-MAC of the next station on the ring.  I believe the common practice
for detecting such problems is a set of local loop back tests.

In the second failure mode a dual identity station would simply reply to
a ping whether its is destined to it or its dual identity. I guess the
reason behind this packet "stealing" is not clear as one can figure a
number of plausible response scenarios where the ping is not successful.
begin:vcard
n:Ayandeh;Siamack
tel;fax:781 271 9988
tel;work:781 276 4192
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.onexco.com
org:Onex Communications Corporation
adr:;;34 Crosby Drive;Bedford;MA;01730;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:sayandeh@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Consulting Engineer
end:vcard