From: owner-stds-802-17@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-stds-802-17@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jim Forster
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 10:57 PM
To: lcwang@xxxxxxx; stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RPRWG] A question on IP over RPR

Briefly, the L3 (IP) to L2 (RPR) binding is very similar to  that on Ethernet, with an extension.  IP on Ethernet uses ARP to determine the MAC address corresponding to the next-hop IP address.  On RPR we need this but we also need a direction bit, or Ring ID -- which Ring, Inner or Outer to use.  So ARP proceeds pretty much like on Ethernet to determine the next-hop MAC address.  Then RPR topology information is consulted to determine which ring to use, and the result stored along with the IP-MAC address binding information.

  -- Jim