RE: [RPRWG] FW: [EFM-P2MP] RE: [EFM] P2MP Call Notes / Security

Hi Sukanta,

It is not a question of being bad but in-efficient.

The layering by IEEE or OSI was done to handle various functions at various
layers. Following that there is no duplication of the function. Please keep
in mind that all application layer security proptocols like SSL and then so
many of them coming at XML level are all going to be there anyway. If every
layer starts doing this job, then there is too much redundancy.

The MAC is supposed to make sure that error free packets are sent and
received to and from MAC addresses within certain time bounds. If someone is
tapping the wire and collects the bits, and if that is an issue, it has to
be sorted at highier layer. I do not care if this e-mail data is seen by
anyone whether it goes via LAN or WAN RPR or Ethernet. If I do, I will make
sure to use an application which will cause the address and/or content
encrypted and may be authenticated.

Regards,
Devendra.

---