Re: stds-80220-requirements: Requirements

Dave,

Completely agree on items 1,3,4,5 of your email.

Regarding item #2. You wrote:

"VoIP may be a compelling use for an 802.20 system
but 802.20 should not be picking Codec's. The standard should require
that latency below X jitter below Y and QOS allow ARQ to be disabled
that enable VOIP to be used if it is desired by the operator or
customer."

Again I completely agree with the general motivation that we should
not be picking codecs and that the real issue is the ability of the
air interface to perform in terms of latency. However, I think (as
with some other parts of the document), we are straying into a little
bit of design work when we require an unacknowledged mode in the
air interface.

I think a better statement is perhaps:

"The standard shall support real time latency sensitive applications
classes (examples of which include voIP) and the air interface
QOS architecture shall provide mechanisms to support such
service classes."

We could then repeat the same statement for:

a) streaming applications such as audio/video streaming
b) interactive latency sensitive applications such as online gaming
c) interactive latency insensitive applications such as web browsing

Mike