From: Joseph Cleveland [mailto:JClevela@sta.samsung.com]
Sent:
Wednesday, July 23, 2003 2:10 PM
To: 'stds-80220-requirements@ieee.org '
Subject: RE: stds-80220-requirements: Shall-Will-Should in 802.20 Requirem ents v5 - C802.20-03-6921

Hi All,

Thanks to Vladimer Yanover the IEEE has a statement in the style manualSection 5, para 13.1, for use of shall, will, should, etc.  I recommend that we use the IEEE statement, which I have copied below:

"The word shall is used to indicate mandatory requirements strictly to be followed in order to conform to the standard and from which no deviation is permitted (shall equals is required to). The use of the word must is deprecated and shall not be used when stating mandatory requirements; must is used only to describe unavoidable situations. The use of the word will is deprecated and shall not be used when stating mandatory requirements; will is only used in statements of fact.

The word should is used to indicate that among several possibilities one is recommended as particularly suitable, without mentioning or excluding others; or that a certain course of action is preferred but not necessarily required; or that (in the negative form) a certain course of action is deprecated but not prohibited (should equals is recommended that).

The word may is used to indicate a course of action permissible within the limits of the standard (may equals is permitted).

The word can is used for statements of possibility and capability, whether material, physical, or causal (can equals is able to)."

Joseph Cleveland