Re: stds-80220-requirements: Channel Bandwidth (was comments on rev5)

Khurram/Fujio,

I agree with Arif's comments and also wanted to clear up a point of confusion
(at least for me). What does the current text mean by "channel bandwidth"?

"The AI shall support channel bandwidths in multiples of 5MHz
in downlink and the uplink."

Is it the system wide bandwidth? That is, base station must support
transmit and receiver front ends that cover 5MHz increments so that
minimal system bandwidth increments are 5MHz?

If so, I believe John Fan's (and also Arif's) rationale stands -

"5 MHz minimum bandwidth would limit the applicability of the MBWA
AI in many of the available licensed bands below 3.5 GHz."

An allocation of 5MHz typical for a wide area cellular systems
requires guard bands and many operators today deploy in 1.25MHz
increments.

-OR-

Is it the per user carrier bandwidth? That is, user terminal receive
and transmit front ends must utilize the entire 5Mhz.

If so then we have at least three systems that have been
described as part of various contributions. All these presmably meet
the performance targets of the PAR and all of these have "carrier
increments" of well under 5Mhz. I therefore disagree that our performance
requirements dictate 5MHz carriers.

Mike

Michael Youssefmir
ArrayComm, Inc.