From: Joanne Wilson [mailto:joanne@arraycomm.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 9:57 PM
To: Jim O'Connor; stds-80220-requirements@ieee.org
Subject: RE: stds-80220-requirements: comments on rev5 - Channel
bandwidth resolution

Jim,

You've made a fundamental assertion that I question.  It is
that 802.20 has to move to higher channel bandwidths in order to achieve
better performance that the evolving 3G standards that occupy 1.25 and
5 MHz channel bandwidths.  Since the 3G standards must maintain backward
compatibility with their current implementations, their future evolution
is more constrained than a new 802.20 standard.  So, even if they
are improving (which I hope they would) I don't see that fact as forcing us
to higher channel bandwidths.  Secondly, none of the proponents of the
higher channel bandwidth systems have addressed the fact that there are
far fewer opportunities for deploying such systems in mobile spectrum below
3.5 GHz?  The market for 20 MHz systems below 3.5 GHz is far smaller than
the market for systems with 1.25 MHz bandwidth.  Finally, and this is a
point
that was made on today's conference call, a 20 MHz system does not
necessarily
provide higher data rates on a per user basis than systems with narrower
bandwidth.  A good example of this is WCDMA (occupying 5 MHz bandwidth)
versus
cdma2000 (with 3 x 1.25 MHz carriers).  I believe (someone can correct me if
I'm
wrong) that the industry has accepted that these two standards offer
equivalent
performance from the end users' perspective.  Frankly, I don't find the
"we need higher bandwidths to compete with evolving 3G systems" to be a very
compelling argument.  I would like to hear what are the specific market
requirements that you believe necessarily drive us to the higher bandwidths.

Best regards,

Joanne