Re: stds-80220-requirements: comments on rev5 - Channel bandwidth resolution

Joanne,

I think you misinterpreted my comments.  Sure, 802.20 could probably squeeze
some extra performance out of 1.25  or 5 MHz (I'll defer to PHY/MAC experts
on this, I'm sure someone will disagree) vis a vis an existing standard
because as you say you are starting with a clean slate and would expect to
optimize some aspects of the PHY/MAC which may not be available to the
existing standards due to backwards compatibility issues, but the same laws
of physics apply to everyone and 802.20 does not have an exclusive franchise
on smart antennas, packet data, MIMO or other enhancements.   So I'm not
sure that aspect (newness) alone automatically ensures 802.20 is a more
compelling solution, especially as the existing standards have other
advantages such as economies of scale, excellent support for voice,
backwards compatibility to existing networks, etc..  My point is that with
802.20 there is an opportunity to address a market need that is not
currently addressed by the existing standards and that is to offer higher
aggregate data rates per unit of capex (transceiver/antenna/site/etc) with
greater bandwidth devices, all else being more or less equal (antenna
schemes, modulation, power levels, power control, etc) in apples to apples
comparisons.

Regarding the spectrum issue, I believe a review of the spectrum ownership
of the 2.5 GHz band in the US, Canada, Mexico and other countries will show
that operators tend to hold extremely large allocations, up to 186 MHz in
the US, in Canada 96 MHz if my memory is correct.  The smallest allocation
block in the US is 24 Mhz, and an operator can control all of the blocks in
a market.  To efficiently put that much spectrum to work, as an operator I'd
rather be deploying 10 or 20 MHz per sector as opposed to 1.25 MHz.

Best Regards,

Jim O'Connor
IPWireless, Inc.