RE: stds-80220-requirements: FW: 802.1q Vlan Tagging

Current Text
[802.1Q tagging must be supported by the system (such that network egress traffic can be switched by a L2 device to the appropriate L2 termination device for managing backbone traffic or distinguishing traffic for wholesale partners in a wholesale environment).][JJH1]

Proposed Text
Delete this requirement.

Rationale
As previously agreed [see attachment] this is outside the scope of the PHY/MAC standardization goal of the group and would mandate a tagging technology that would restrict the operator's ability to use other popular technologies.

Neka,
Given the unspecified nature of the network architecture in which a .20
air-interface would plug in and the number of ways by which different users'
traffic can be partitioned at Base Stations/other elements in the network
infrastructure, its not clear if specifically using 802.1Q VLAN tags ought
to be a requirement, particularly a binding one. So I would second Mike'e
suggestion to not have it so.

Regarding software push, software loads etc, since these pertain more
generally to the management/admin of the user terminal and not to the
desired behavior of the MAC/PHY itself, we should not be specifying them in
this requirements document.
Regards,
Samir