From: owner-stds-80220-requirements@majordomo.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-80220-requirements@majordomo.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Joanne Wilson
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 2:50 AM
To: Humbert, John J [NTWK SVCS]; Requirements Reflector
Subject: RE: stds-80220-requirements: Spectral Efficiency (4.1.2)

John,

In light of my email message of November 24th, which received some support and no opposition, I  propose the following addition to the text in section 4.1.2:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Proposal:

Add the following sentence to the end of section 4.1.2:

The calculation for spectral efficiency shall be determined within a fixed size block assignment and will include the use of sufficient
guard bands at the block edges to confine the transmitted signal energy to a 99% level within that fixed block. Additional
details on how to calculate spectral efficiency will be addressed within the context of the evaluation criteria.

 Rationale:

This approach allows for a consistent comparison of the  spectral efficiency  in an arrangement that is consistent with general deployment practices.

Best regards,

Joanne Wilson