RE: [802.21] triggers vs. O/S

I kind of agree - it is an abstraction.

At the risk of modeling it online -
I would normally address it by an intermediate artifact that is a
broker. Higher layers may register event interest with a broker. Higher
layers are interested in events - more likely associated with
clients.The broker may choose to understand the different (L2) device
gateways/APs (that may have in turn registered their presence with it
after discovering the broker). The broker in turn interprets higher
layer event-interest and looks-for/alerted-by the devices for events it
may register interest with them.

The events of interest may happen in a (topologically) broad
(handoff/roaming) domain. The broker serves to collate (collect) and
deliver the right one(s) to the higher layer(s).

I guess part of this WG's role is in categorizing such higher layer
events and abstracting the APIs to fit requirements arising thereof in
either direction
(app<->broker & broker<->device).

There may be better models; I would be interested to hear them.

-mani

Vladimir