From: Mani, Mahalingam (Mahalingam) [mailto:mmani@AVAYA.COM]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 12:39 AM
To: Johnston, Dj; STDS-802-21@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: [802.21] triggers vs. O/S

I kind of agree - it is an abstraction.

At the risk of modeling it online -
I would normally address it by an intermediate artifact that is a
broker. Higher layers may register event interest with a broker. Higher
layers are interested in events - more likely associated with
clients.The broker may choose to understand the different (L2) device
gateways/APs (that may have in turn registered their presence with it
after discovering the broker). The broker in turn interprets higher
layer event-interest and looks-for/alerted-by the devices for events it
may register interest with them.

The events of interest may happen in a (topologically) broad
(handoff/roaming) domain. The broker serves to collate (collect) and
deliver the right one(s) to the higher layer(s).

I guess part of this WG's role is in categorizing such higher layer
events and abstracting the APIs to fit requirements arising thereof in
either direction
(app<->broker & broker<->device).

There may be better models; I would be interested to hear them.

-mani

Vladimir
> > Yanover
> > Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 8:59 AM
> > To: STDS-802-21@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
> > Subject: Re: contributions for upcoming May 2004 meeting - L2.5 C
> > oncrete Model ?
> >

> > Peretz, Mike
> >
> > I absolutely agree that the standards must not be based on product
of
> > specific vendor. Unfortunately, viability of this specific
applicaton
> > scenario does
> depend on
> > special features
> > provided [or not] by OS vendors. Probably, there are more scenarios
on
> the
> > table?
> >
> > Vladimir
> >
> [...]

This mail passed through mail.alvarion.com

********
viruses.
********
This mail was sent via mail.alvarion.com