RE: [802.21] contributions for upcoming May 2004 meeting - L2.5 Concrete Model ?

Hi Vivek,

<snip>

> > The issue here is what we need to achieve from the handover. Are we
> aiming
> > at session continuity or just IP connectivity.
> >
> In context of transitions from wired to wireless networks
> based on applications and viable usage scenarios mentioned
> (mobile office), the requirement seems to be mostly for
> automatic/continual IP connectivity. This will easily take
> care of more common apps like email, etc. 802.21 can help
> provide information to facilitate discovery/selection of
> networks in this case, but the overall end user experience
> also depends in large part on the client side implementation.
> There may be certain more esoteric cases in this context (wired to
> wireless) where session persistence may be required. My BT
> headset is using VoIP through my docked laptop (ethernet..),
> and I decide to carry my notebook to a meeting in middle of a
> voice call. You can use SIP/MIP etc. in this case and certain
> 802.21 mechanisms may help out in this case. Not sure how
> viable this scenario is. (Might want to use WLAN for VoIP
> call even when docked/powered or just use a VoIP handset.....)

I think there are quite some other use cases for the session persistence,
e.g. streaming ,etc. The baseline is that with .21 the session should not be
cut off and established again during the handover. That is what I understand
from this "seemless handover" scope.

> So what are the various mechanisms 802.21 can define to help
> with handoffs?
> - Triggers, specially predictive triggers, which can help
> reduce handover latency..
> - A model to provide information about all networks, sort of
> global network neighborhood, to help with network
> discovery/selection, etc. What else?? Let the good ideas keep
> coming...
>
> How do we decide what gets included in 802.21 spec?
> As a rough guideline, any new mechanism we define, that
> impacts the technology specific air interface (for wireless
> networks) should get included in spec. And by similar logic
> something which is local only and does not impact the air
> interface in any way, possibly does not merit inclusion in
> spec (from a normative perspective). Most of the L2.5 models
> and policy engines, etc. seem to be local to client side and
> implementation specific. Not sure that we need to include
> these in a spec, especially from a normative perspective.

In this sense, the .21 would be only working on Over the air part, and
triggers, e.g. those from L2 to upper layer (MIP, etc) would be excluded
from the spec, since it's also not impacting the air interface. I thought
this was the major drive for setting up the WG.

Cheers

Cheng Hong